Linen is a material which dyes and wrinkles easily. Because of this, it is often blended with another fiber. It adds an elegant urban polish to a vintage or antique sofa.
To clean linen sofas you will need the following instruments:
- A solvent or a dry cleaning product
- A soft brush
- Some clean white cloth
- Vacuum with an upholstery attachment
- Begin with vacuuming the sofa. Do so in order to remove all the dirt that liquid detergent might mix with.
- Remove the cushions of the sofa. With an upholstery cleaning attachment vacuum the frame between the cushions.
- Spot-clean the stained or soiled areas of the sofa. Do that with a cleaning solvent or water-based detergent mixed using the manufacturer’s instructions. Just to sure first test the solvent or detergent on a hidden non-visible area.
- Use some white cloth to apply the cleaner by dabbing on the stain or spot. This way you will lift the dirt away from the upholstery. If the cloth gets dirty continue by switching it with a new one.
- Proceed with the cushions in the same manner. When you remove any stains go over the entire cushion with the cleaner. That way there will be no visible clean or dingy areas left.
- Allow everything to dry completely before reassembling the sofa.
- Once it is dry vacuum the cleaned areas to restore any flattened nap.
Types of Stains
If there are just some stains that you wish to clean from your sofa then you can remove them by washing the affected area with warm water. Do so by dabbing the affected area with some wet cloth. If you need to remove some lipstick or face powder dab them with alcohol and then wash it off with warm water.
If there are some tea or coffee stains use some glycerin to blotch them. Let the glycerin soak on the fabric for a few minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
If your sofa has a stain from grease you can remove it with a small amount of petrol or trichloroethylene. Dab the stains with them. Now you have to spread some talc on the area and thoroughly brush it off. Rinse thoroughly the treated are with water and let it dry for a while.
If you wish to wash your upholstery then do it by hand. Or use your washing machine for that job. If you don’t want to deal with the upholstery cleaning by yourself, simply call our cleaners and let them do the job for you!